Thursday, January 21, 2016

PRECIOUS MEMORIES

January 21, 2016

By Olivene Godfrey

The snow and icy weather we're having now sent my mind back several decades.  My late husband, Ralph, and I shared a lot of scary adventures over the years.

There was an ice storm we had here a number of years ago.  Our patio tends to become a solid sheet of ice in bad weather.  Ralph was retired but was still able to get around.  I remember the day when Ralph and I decided to go to town after an ice storm had left the patio slick with ice.  We went outside and then we were on the patio holding on to each other.  Somehow, we made it to my car parked in the driveway.  Ralph was no longer driving so I drove us to town.  We made the trip safely with God's help.  When Barry came home from work that night he blew his top.

Ralph and I had been married 12 years when Barry was born.  So, we had a lot of scary adventures.  There was the boat he built on the large back porch of our Dalton home.  When he had the boat ready to try out he chose the Tennessee River to launch it.

Just a few words now, for readers who aren't familiar with the river.  The Tennessee River is the largest tributary of the Ohio River.  The river is located in the southwestern U.S. in the Tennessee Valley.  The river was once popularly known as the Cherokee River, as many of the Cherokee Indians had their territory along it's banks.

On a pretty spring day, Ralph and I launched the motor boat in the large river and it performed perfectly.  Ralph was an ardent fisherman.  He started fishing and I was bored, and snacked on the picnic lunch we had packed.  Later, I became scared thinking about the risk we took that day.

My sister, Jeanette, and her late husband, Charles had a large boat with a small cabin.  We would take our boats out with plenty of snacks on sunny Sundays.  I remember one weekend we went camping at Harrison Bay.  The weather turned ugly and it rained.  The men slept in their cars and Jeanette and their children, Charlene and Kenneth, and myself slept in the boat cabin.  Needless to say, we had a soggy weekend.

We had many more adventures in those years and now we have the precious memories.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told to Tam.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home