Tuesday, January 12, 2016

BACK IN THE DAY

January 12, 2016

By Olivene Godfrey

Barry and Tam grew up with television and can't imagine how life would be without it now.  I, and my contemporaries, grew up with radio an important part of our lives.  I remember coming home from school and eating a snack while listening to the soap opera, "Stella Dallas" on the radio which was still in it's infancy.

An uncle rented a radio for entertainment at my parents wedding reception in 1926.  My parents listened to "Lum and Abner" and "Amos and Andy" during supper on week nights.  I also remember Franklin D. Roosevelt's famous "Fireside Chat" on the radio.

Later, when I was a young teenager and my twin sisters were four years younger, Frank Sinatra's crooning on "Your Hit Parade" was a program we never missed.  Our mother, who could be "funny", (she thought) would sometimes enter the living room while we listened to Frank Sinatra crooning and she would shout "Oh Frankie, you make me swoon".  We were furious with her and thought she was "corny".

Years later, we were all fascinated with television even though most TV screens were "snowy" and would sometimes roll in the early days.  My late husband, Ralph loved television.  For years, he worked as a TV repairman.  He was a big sports fan and on occasion would have three TV sets on different "games" while he yelled and enjoyed himself.  Barry says, "Pa would have loved the flat screen TV's."

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told to Tam.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home