Monday, December 07, 2015

ANOTHER BIRTHDAY

December 7, 2015

By Olivene Godfrey

I was born in a Methodist parsonage located in Pelham Valley, Tennessee on December 10th 1927.  My late daddy, John Ellis Brashear, told me the story of my birth since I was a small child on my birthday until his untimely death at the age of 65.  No matter where I lived, daddy would call me on the telephone to tell me of the cold, winter night when I, his first born child, came into the world.

According to daddy, when my young mother felt it was time for me to be born, daddy sent for the old family doctor.  The doctor came and ordered that my daddy go outside and chop wood.  He was not aware that I was a breech birth and one of my tiny arms was broken.  The doctor put my arm in a sling and it healed soon.

My late husband, Ralph, and I were living at Treasure Island, Florida when our only son, Barry was born.  Daddy arranged to have my many cousins located in various states to send me a birthday card that year.

Son, Barry changed our lives for the better over the years.  Barry's birthday is December 14th.  He was the best birthday gift I ever received.

I had an enchanted childhood.  My late mother gave me birthday parties that were quite elaborate.  I had twin sisters, Joan and Jeanette, who kept our childhood interesting to say the least.  Later, after we were grown our youngest sister Dianne was born.  Joan and Dianne both have passed away.  Now Jeanette and I are the only members of the family still living.  Barry and I are still a family and will celebrate our birthdays at our comfortable home.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told to Tam.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Sohini Sarker said...

This is so beautiful.

December 18, 2015 at 5:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home