Monday, January 18, 2016

BACK IN THE DAY (PART 2)

January 18, 2016

By Olivene Godfrey

In the early days of television, our lives began to change.  In the beginning, TV didn't have round the clock broadcasting.  Most stations in our area stopped broadcasting at midnight.  The National Anthem was played as the station signed off.  Then, the "test pattern" appeared on the screen which helped the owner of the set to adjust the picture.  I had a friend whose husband was so obsessed with TV, he would rise very early every morning and stare at the test pattern on the screen.

I'll never forget when my late husband, Ralph, and I finally made the decision to buy a TV set.  We bought it "on credit" from the Crutchfield Furniture Store.  That night the Crutchfield family, who were good friends, came out to our house and watched the TV with us.  When the young pastor of the Methodist Church we attend heard about our TV, he would come to the house to watch TV with us.  I worked in an office in Dalton and had chores to do at night.  The preacher kept calling me to come "watch TV".  We were glad when he finally purchased his own TV.

When black & white TV's were a part of our lives, we began to hear about "color TV".  Ralph said he was waiting for the color TV to be perfected.  I remember we went to a convention at St. Simon, GA and stayed at a hotel on the island.  When we got up in the morning the color TV was on.  I remember we watched the Today show and Jane Pauley looked so pretty.  I told Ralph I was ready for a color TV.

I remember when Barry, our son, was just a boy, but he wanted a color TV (he had a black & white).  We didn't have a color TV for our living room and couldn't afford the color TV for Barry that Christmas.  I think that was the first time "Santa" didn't please him.  Now he has a large color TV in his media room.

We had favorite programs through the years that we never missed watching.  Ralph liked Gunsmoke and Clint Eastwood westerns.  We watched I Love Lucy every week and Sunset Strip.  Also, Barney Miller, Mash, All in the Family and Cheers to name just a few.  TV has really changed since that first black & white.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told to Tam.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home