Monday, March 24, 2014

REPORT ON MY BOUT WITH STOMACH FLU

March 24, 2014

By Olivene Godfrey

As I write this, on a cold Monday, I hope I am feeling better after a bout with norovirus, also known as the stomach flu.  I've been reading that this virus is highly contagious and can leave you feeling lousy for a few days.

I have only eaten saltine crackers until this morning when I ate a little oatmeal.  Since I eat a bland diet because of my IBS, I wasn't as sick as Barry, who had eaten a large plate of highly seasoned spaghetti and later a large bowl of hot chili, before he woke up violently ill and all day he vomited and had diarrhea.  His bathroom was a big mess.  He was too sick to clean it so Tam did.  He thinks that is the reason for her own stomach flu, and he feels bad about it.  Since this "bug" is highly contagious, I think that is why all of us have had it.

Barry read on the internet that research for a vaccine for the stomach flu is being done.  My doctor called in a prescription for nausea for me which has helped.  Since my doctor has arranged for me to have a home health nurse to visit me every week I feel safer.

The home health nurse came yesterday and Barry and I were concerned that I might be dehydrated, but after checking my vital signs and my skin, she assured us I wasn't.  Normally I drink a lot of water and since I've been sick, I've drank even larger amounts.

I think I've lost some weight and after I take a shower today, I plan to get out our scales and weigh.  See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told to Tam)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home