Wednesday, January 22, 2014

THE "SAD SACK" ORIGIN & BARRY & I HAVE A SICK COLD & WE'RE TIRED OF IT!!!

January 22, 2014

By Olivene Godfrey

The last time I wrote in this space I told about Barry and I are "sad sacks" with our very bad colds.  A reader, Stephanie, commented that her grandfather had used the term, "sad sack".  I knew the term was an American fictional comic strip during World War II, but I had forgotten any other information about it.  The phrase has come to mean, "an inept person" or "inept soldier".

Actually, the title was a euphemistic shortening of the military slang "sad sack of s...", common during World War II.  The comic book character was created by Sgt. George Baker during World War II.

Barry and I are still suffering from a cold or virus or whatever it is.  The temperature outside was 13 degrees when we got up.  Now, at 10:30 the temperature is up to 18 degrees.  Barry wore his insulated underwear and warm clothing to work.

The home health people arranged for me to have a chest x-ray here at home yesterday.  The doctor called in 2 prescriptions for me so the x-ray must not have had anything "new".  With my COPD the doctor keeps a close watch on me so it won't turn in to pneumonia the way it has previously.  As Barry and Tam can testify, I don't do well in a hospital.  Since I have oxygen here and Barry and Tam to help me, I feel as if I am where I'm supposed to be.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told to Tam)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home