Monday, February 24, 2014

WALKING - A MIRACLE DRUG?

February 24, 2014
By Olivene Godfrey

Does anyone out there remember an old song, titled, "These Boots Were Made For Walking?"  I'm not wearing boots, but I'm wearing my moccasins and loafers to walk all over the place, following several years of being transported in a wheel chair.  I'm still using a walker to assist me, but my long range goal is to be able to walk, at least part of the time, with a cane.

So, what brought about this big change in my life?  Several things.  I was becoming weaker every day, and had very little energy.  Barry and Tam started encouraging me to walk with my walker, more often in the house.  Then, I had an appointment with my primary care doctor.  She gave me no sympathy and "ordered" even more walking for me to do.  She said I would feel better all over if I "kept moving".  The home health therapists had been working with me, too.  And while I'm just starting on this exercise program, I already feel better.  My muscles are still sore, but I'm more mentally alert, and even my IBS has improved.

During my last doctor visit, a nurse cleaned out (irrigated) the accumulated wax in my ears.  It was an unpleasant experience, but I am hearing better with my hearing aids now.

For the first time in months, I typed two emails yesterday.  Barry proof-read them and said I did good.  See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told to Tam)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home