Monday, October 08, 2012

GENEVELYN'S ILLNESS AND A LOVELY ROSE AND THOUGHTS ON ROSES AND BURSITIS IN MY LEFT SHOULDER


October 7, 2012

By Olivene Godfrey
Genevelyn, my friend and neighbor, has been ill with a severe allergy attack, caused by the hated ragweed in full bloom here now.  Genevelyn called Tam and told her she was coming over to pick up two printed blogs I had for her.  She told Tam not to let me greet her in case she was contagious.  I was typing in my office, a grocery list for Barry while Genevelyn was here.  Shortly, Tam came to the office with an exquisite delicate pink rose that Genevelyn had brought me from her yard.  The rose is so lovely, I feel a warm glow when I look at it.
Roses are my favorite flower.  I like all colors.  I remember when my late husband, Ralph, sent a dozen red roses for me when Barry was born.  (Ralph had waited 12 years for a son and was busting with pride and joy!)
I have been suffering with bursitis, an inflammation of a bursa  in my left shoulder.  The home health occupational therapist has been treating my shoulder with a pain management instrument for chronic pain.  She has ordered one for me and says I can use it on my arthritic knees, too.  The instrument doesn't stop the pain permanently, but brings relief for a while.  It can also be used as often as needed.
I have slept on my left side for years.  The therapist told me not to sleep on my left side with the bursitis in my left shoulder.  Several times, I have woke up with severe pain in my left shoulder at night and realize I had turned over in my sleep.  The therapist and Tam suggested that I put a pillow behind my back to prevent this, and it is working so far.
Several years ago, I fell and broke my right shoulder and arm.  I wore a sling while my bones healed and got used to using my left arm for everything.  Now, I still use my left arm for a lot of things.  I'm right handed and I think I may be sending mixed signals to my brain since I can't use my left shoulder and arm without pain.
Oh, well, as my late mother used to say, "Don't worry so much.  Things have a way of working out some way."
See you next time
(As told to Tam)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home