Thursday, August 09, 2012

IT IS MORE BLESSED TO GIVE THAN TO RECEIVE


August 9, 2012

By Olivene Godfrey
I've found over the years when I've given someone a gift that makes that person happy I feel a warm glow of happiness myself.  And some people seem to have been born with the knack for accepting gifts graciously.  Son, Barry has that gift, and so does Tam, my caregiver and dear friend.
Barry and I had been discussing what we could give Tam for her year anniversary with us, and we thought she would like a personal computer as the one she had "died".  Barry's friend, Kym (and mine) had bought her mother a new computer recently.  Barry asked if he could have the old computer, as he enjoys tinkering with anything electronic.  Kym gave it to him and Barry couldn't find anything wrong with the computer.  But, the monitor had burned out.  It so happened that Barry had a good monitor in a closet.  And, he was able to get the computer and monitor to work.  That was last weekend.  On Monday morning, I told Tam to look in my office at her "gift".  When she saw it, she shouted "It's Christmas!" and then she cried and laughed at the same time.  I feel good knowing she was so happy.  Tam can do most anything, and that night she had the computer working before she went to bed.
Tam has done so much for us this past year, and we can never repay her.  Since I can't do much anymore, she has taken on doing extra things to help me.  She takes care of my medical prescriptions, which was a load off my mind.  She also took on the role as my personal secretary, and drives me to doctor appointments and any where else I need or want to go.
Barry and Tam make it possible for me to remain in my home.  See you next time.
(As told to Tam)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home