Tuesday, December 14, 2010




THOUGHTS ON MY BIRTHDAY & APPLE PIE & "RAT CHEESE"

By OLIVENE GODFREY

It's hard to be elated when you turn 83. But, on my December 10 birthday, I received e-mails and cards with notes from friends and relatives which warmed my heart and lifted my spirits. In fact, I was so stimulated that I didn't sleep much that night. But, hey, I didn't mind as it was so good to be remembered on my birthday.

-------------------------------------

It's no secret that I am a lover of desserts. And as far as I'm concerned that all time American dessert, apple pie, is one of man's perfect attainments. Actually we owe this delicacy to our Pilgrim mothers. Within a decade after the Pilgrims landed on these shores the apple pie was assuming a role of comfort in the wilderness

Today all the needed ingredients for a delicious apple pie can be purchased, packaged and in quick form, in any grocery store. And the frozen variety only needs to be popped into the oven.

And do you remember the wonderful apple pies made from dried apples? Our ancestors once preserved fruit by the drying process. There are still cooks around who prefer to make their pies from "scratch" and some even prefer old fashioned lard to shortenings. They claim that lard insures a flaky, golden crust. And what better treat is there than a slice of delicious apple pie served with hot, strong coffee ?

------------------------------------------

And while on the subject of food, one of my long time favorite snacks used to be old fashioned "rat cheese" and saltines.
It's been years since I've seen a hoop of this cheese in grocery stores. While back, I told Barry to buy me some "rat cheese" when he went grocery shopping. He had never heard of the cheese. He did ask the butcher about it and was told it was a from of cheddar cheese. I think perhaps with all the types of cheeses now available in supermarkets that the demand for hoop cheese may have declined. Perhaps a reader has a better answer.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home