Sunday, December 05, 2010





DREARY COLD WEATHER & OLD AGE NO FUN & POSTCARD VIEW LIFTS SPIRITS

By Olivene Godfrey

While the first day of winter isn't until December 14 (Barry's birthday), we have been having cold dreary weather here in northwest Georgia. And, as I write this, we are having snow flurries. The coldness seems to penetrate my arthritic bones, causing a lot of pain. I understand now why some elderly people spend their winters in warm climates and I wish I could afford to do that, too.

Speaking of Barry's birthday, mine is December 10 when I will be 83-years-old. I know some people my age who are still active and seemingly healthy and I envy them. But, I'm grateful I am able to do the things I can now. My energy level and stamina are much less than when I was in my 70s and it frustrates me no end.

If I wake up feeling chipper, I plan all the things I want to do that day and I wind up totally exhausted by late afternoon. Barry tells me I need to pace myself and I agree. But, when I'm well, I want to keep going as I don't know when I'll feel up to doing the chores again.

As I sit at my desk, with the trees bare of their leaves, I enjoy the picturesque view from my front windows of the pretty farm that adjourns our property. The farm house, the barn and the large pond with the mountains just beyond is a beautiful postcard view. I've made many pictures of the view which were published in several newspapers and motorists often stop on the side of the road on our hill and make pictures of the view.

A number of years ago a television production company shot a commercial on the farm. That day, a helicopter landed in the meadow in front of our house and several cars pulled in the farm's driveway. All day, I kept running to our front windows to watch the action. The farmer's wife had phoned me the day before to let me know of the T.V. production.The wall of trees at the edge of our front yard prevents us from seeing much of the view during the spring and summer months. With the full view now, it's a cheerful sight on a cold, wintry day.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home