Monday, October 18, 2010

FALL WEATHER--AT LAST & MANY MEDICAL APPOINTMENTS & TWO UNEXPECTED TELEPHONE CALLS

By OLIVENE GODFREY

Fall weather is here in Northwest Georgia--at last. We had a long, hot summer and the cold crispness and beauty of autumn is most welcomed. But, it's difficult for me to enjoy the beauty of the season as I dread the cold, bleak winter that follows which often brings ice and sometimes snow. Last night, the Chattanooga weather people forecast a frost advisory for our area. Barry and a friend had eaten lunch at a famous barbecue in Chattanooga and had spent the afternoon browsing in stores up there. They were playing their guitars in Barry's media room when the TV news was on and I got on the intercom and told Barry about the frost warning. He dashed out to the garage and using his large wheelbarrow transported the house plants to the garage. He placed the plants on a table near a window where the sun streams in during winter months. The plants are still so pretty and we feel sad they aren't still on the patio.

All summer, I had one or two medical appointments almost every week. Barry had to take time off from work to drive me to the appointments in Dalton, Calhoun and a few in Chatsworth. Somehow, this week I have no appointments and Barry and I are both tired. I have neglected some of my household chores and Barry has somehow been able to do most of the work here and still work long hours at his shop. I have three more appointments
coming up next week and then I hope we can take a long break from them.

I had two unexpected telephone calls last week. The first call was from my dear friend, Ruth, a former newspaper colleague. She has been ill and thanked me for sending her a plant and a few cards. It was good to hear Ruth's voice and I pray that she will continue to feel better.

The second call evoked both happy and sad emotions within me. My late husband's sister, Agnes,who lives in Northeast Georgia,
called to exchange greetings and sad news. We caught up on each other's news and our ailments and we both have hearing aids now and we compared them.

But, her purpose of the call was to tell me that our sister in-law, Joyce, is very ill and her prognosis isn't good. Joyce has always been a kind, loving person. And, I think to know Joyce is to love her. I pray for her and her family during this most difficult time.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home