Sunday, September 05, 2010

HEARING TESTS RESULTS & SON BARRY SEZ MY SOUTHERN ACCENT IS SWEET & SYRUPY

By Olivene Godfrey

The day before I had a hearing test at a hearing and speech center in Dalton, I was a nervous basket case. And, by the time son Barry and I reached the center the next morning, I was a bundle of nerves. But, I was determined to pull myself together during the test.The audiologist was very nice and explained that he would conduct an audio-metric hearing test in a sound proof room. Barry stayed in the room with him and he said he knew the test was stressful for me and it was. The test showed that I have moderately severe hearing loss in both ears but no medical problem--it's an age related thing. The center carries all brands of hearing aids and the one he chose for me provides three years of free batteries and a period after I start wearing them to be certain I am satisfied with the aids.

The audiologist said that with the aids in both ears, I should have normal hearing which will be wonderful. He said hearing aids usually work well with my type of hearing loss. Barry researched the brand chosen for me and said it is a premium brand. In about two weeks, I will return to the center to have molds made of my ears. Barry says the hearing aids I will be wearing have tiny computers inside them. He quipped that with the cataract surgery I have had, I already have artificial eyes and now I will have artificial ears which will make me be a "bionic woman".

----------------------------------------

Sometimes when Barry is describing a girl or woman to me,he will say "she has a sweet, syrupy Southern accent like yours."
Other people have commented over the years that my accent is as "slow as molasses" and that I stretch spoken words into as many syllables as possible. When my late husband and I lived on the beach in Florida, sometimes people I met on the beach would ask what country I was from and when I replied that I am an American, sometimes they would ask, "Are you speaking Southern?" Years later, I met a woman a woman who was an expert on accents and she told me, "You have a combination of East Tennessee and North Georgia" accent." I was stunned and told her I lived in Chattanooga until I was 14 and had lived in North Georgia most of my life since then. Since then I have become more conscious of accents of other people I know. Barry has a southern mountain accent as he has lived in North Georgia since he was two years old.

See you next time, Y'all

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home