Saturday, July 10, 2010

BEAUTIFUL RAINS CAME & REFRESHED THE PARCHED EARTH & BROUGHT COOLER WEATHER TO NORTH GEORGIA

BY OLIVENE GODFREY

We here in Northwest Georgia had a couple of pleasant days before the oppressive hot weather came again. I hadn't been out of the house for several weeks until Barry drove me to Calhoun, GA last week for my monthly booster shot. I was only outside in the hot weather for the few minutes it took to walk from the car to the blood doctor's clinic. And, I believe that if I had to stay outside in that heat, it would kill me. And I don't know how Barry has been able to work in his shop which doesn't have AC and was a 100 degrees inside the shop one day last week.

And, then the beautiful rains came and refreshed the parched earth and brought us blessed cooler weather today and I hope it will last a while before another heat wave hits us. It is early in the summer so we can expect more oppressive hot weather until the fall.

We had a quiet July 4th holiday. That night I listened to a CD of patriotic songs performed by a symphony. As I listened, my thoughts turned to Barry when he was eight or nine years old. He liked classical music so I took him to an Atlanta Symphony performance. Later, I took him twice to performances by the Chattanooga symphony which he enjoyed very much.

Barry also likes blues music. He and a friend played in a blues band when they were younger. Now, often on weekends they have a jam session in his den. Barry is knowledgeable about many kinds of music. He and I both dislike the new country music.
I like and I think Barry likes the instrumentals on cable RFD/TV Marty Stewart Show which features traditional country music.

I was fortunate to attend schools when I was growing up that had strong music programs. I studied piano and accordion for six years which instilled a lifetime of enjoying good music within me.

Last week, Barry cleaned the front porch and discovered that the white columns need to be painted. We also had new shingles installed on the front of our house's roof in the spring. Since we live in an area which has been designated as Windy Gap by the forestry service it's easy to understand the wind damages.
Our road has also been designated as a Scenic Road and is a nice place to live.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home