Tuesday, June 22, 2010

REMEMBERING CONNIE
By Olivene Godfrey
My niece, Connie, who had lived in south Florida since she was a young teenager, lost her battle with cancer last week. Her former sister-in-law, Annie, said, " Connie had fought with all her might to stay alive. She was one of the bravest people I knew."

Connie's brother, John, called to tell me of Connie's death. And, we talked a few minutes about when he and Connie and their cousin, Charlene, and my young sister, Dianne, played together and had such fun. I told John I had happy memories of those days and he said he did, too.

When Connie was a little girl, she wanted a pair of black, patent Mary Jane shoes. My son, Barry hadn't been born yet and all the grandchildren and my baby sister were precious to me. I told Connie to be ready on a Saturday and we would go to a shoe store in Dalton (GA) to buy her Mary Janes. Her mother, my late sister, Joan, said Connie was beside her self with excitement while she waited for me. I remember we walked on the sidewalk to the shoe store from my car and Connie held my hand and skipped along, big blue eyes shiny. and she told me that her stomach felt all "fluttery". I told her she had butterflies in her stomach and she laughed. Shortly after we arrived at the shoe store Connie was proudly wearing her Mary Janes as we walked to the car. I've always remembered that day.

After Connie grew up, she had a tragic life, partly because of events she couldn't control, and she made her own mistakes, too. Her brother, John, told me when we were talking on the phone that Connie had been going to church with him and his wife and that she had made peace with the Lord. And, we believe that she's in heaven and has no more pain. Our prayers are now with her 21-year-old son, Chris, as he struggles to face life without his "Mom".

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home