Sunday, May 30, 2010

QUEEN ANNE'S LACE & MY RECENT RECLAST EXPERIENCE

By OLIVENE GODFREY

One recent, sunny day, I was resting in my recliner in the den and glanced out of the big window. My eyes caught a glimpse of some large white objects moving around across the road.
At first, I thought they were white chickens but I quickly rejected that notion as I didn't think anyone around here raised chickens. Finally, I stood up and between tree branches I saw the bright white and rounded flowers known in northwest Georgia as Queen Anne's Lace. Son Barry did some research on these flowers that resemble lace and found out the red flower in the center represents a blood droplet where Queen Anne pricked herself with a needle when she was making lace. The function of the red flower is to attract insects. The USDA has listed it as a noxious weed and it is considered a serious pest in pastures. It persists in the soil seed bank for two to five years.

Barry found it fascinating that the domesticated carrots are cultivars of a sub species of the plant. As with food gathering extra caution should be taken as the wild carrot bears a close resemblance to a dangerous species Water Hemlock. And, this is probably more info on Queen Anne's lace than you wanted to read.

-----------------------------------------

Last week, I had the Reclast treatment for post menopausal osteoporosis. It is supposed to increase bone density and strengthened bones. It is an IV so it by passes your digestive system, going to work to help protect you from fracture for 12 full months Treatment is given by a nurse or doctor and takes about 15 minutes. However, the person giving me the treatment increased the period because I am so "frail'. She also said I had "frail skin" when she gave me the IV. And, when I was weighed on a scale, my height was measured. All of my adult life, I have thought I was five feet, four inches tall. But, I am now barely five feet, one inch tall. Barry told me later that was because I have COPD which prevents me from "standing tall". The person who gave me the treatment did say the report of my blood work I had the previous day at the local hospital, was "excellent". So that was one bright spot of the day.

My vital signs continue to be just about perfect and so I don't understand why I often feel so lousy. I guess my IBS and year round allergies explains my feeling bad a lot of the time.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home