Sunday, May 16, 2010

NOTES FROM YELLOW LEGAL PAD

By OLIVENE GODFREY

Two adages I try to live by are, "When in doubt, don't!" and, "Put off until tomorrow what you'll make a mess of today.' Sometimes I don't follow this advice to my regret. Since I fell flat on my back with a horrible sensation of the room spinning on March 2nd, I haven't had much energy. And, I haven't dusted as often as I should and Barry has about all he can do, what with doing most of the housework, cooking and working at his job but he did dust once with the vacuum cleaner for which I am grateful. But, when I've tried to dust I've made a mess of the job. Last week, I felt somewhat better and decided to give the dusting another try. I was exhausted when I finished the chore but felt a sense of satisfaction. That night I was so tired but I thought, " Well, shoot! it wasn't as hard as the physical therapy work outs that I had recently."

-----------------------------

I've been writing in this space for seven years now. Widowed a year and was at loose ends at that time, Barry suggested I try writing a blog. I had been retired from a writing career for several years so decided to give it a try. And, it has been a good outlet for me to express my writing ideas.

-----------------------------------

I've written before in this space that it isn't easy to impress family members and friends. No matter how high a person may rise in the world, these people aren't impressed. Some of the people say they don't want the "celebrity" to get a "big head". When son Barry was a small boy he knew I was writer and sometimes he accompanied me on assignments and I spent a lot of time working at my typewriter at home and on the phone but he seemed to take it in stride. How little my work impressed him I found out when his school teacher asked students to draw pictures of their mother at work. That afternoon, I picked Barry up at his school and he proudly showed me the picture he had drawn of a woman pushing a broom! I did do a lot of sweeping at home. But, I smiled and complimented him on the great picture which seemed to please him. In later years, Barry told me he guessed at an early age he just thought all mothers were writers and it wasn't a big deal which, of course, it wasn't.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home