Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A SPRING-LIKE SUNDAY OUTING BREAKS UP WINTER DOLDRUMS

By OLIVENE GODFREY

Even the weather, which was unseasonably warm and sunny, cooperated with the plans son Barry and I had made for a Sunday outing. Barry drove us to Dalton and it was the first time I had been outside the house except for doctor appointments in about two months. We arrived at Western Sizzlin shortly after they opened and the bountiful buffet was fresh and delicious. I didn't eat nearly as much of the delectable food as most of the diners. But, I did eat more than I normally do at home. As I write this,Tuesday afternoon, I am only beginning to recover from pigging out on Sunday.

After we ate lunch, we went to a nearby K Mart to shop for towels which were on sale. Barry had brought my wheelchair or I wouldn't have been able to walk as much as we did. We bought several large, luxurious towels similar to some we had bought a couple of years a go at Sears. We also bought a few hand towels and some other items.

Then, we went home and I was so tired, I spent most of the afternoon resting in my recliner. Barry had eaten a lot more than I did but he stayed busy all afternoon with chores inside and outside of the house. And, he was hungry again at supper time. I didn't feel like I would ever eat again. About eight that night, I did eat a small bowl of chicken soup. Soon, I went to bed and fell into a deep slumber. The following day, Monday, I had a dental appointment. I still didn't feel well and I have been having balance problems. I have an appointment later this week to see my doctor about physical therapy like I had five years ago when I broke my shoulder and arm. I did my balance exorcizes faithfully until I started feeling ill a couple of months ago. On Monday, Barry came home from work to drive me to the dentist's clinic in Chatsworth. He helped me walk inside and signed in for me. Then, he went back to work which is nearby the dental office. I was sitting on a comfortable loveseat but after Barry left I started worrying that I would have trouble standing up as the seat was so soft.

The hygienist called my name. I tried to stand up but I couldn't and I began to feel panic stricken. Then from somewhere a nice man was reaching for my arm and helping me stand up. He offered to walk me to the hygienist but she was there then and helped me. I thanked the man for his help and I felt good that there are still kind people in this world. I hadn't been to the dentist in a year as I was having so many health problems. I brush and floss my teeth often which is probably why I only had two small cavities. The dentist can, somehow, fill them without removing the crowns on them. They all know at the clinic that I don't want to have extensive dental work and expenses at my age. But, I decided to have the fillings as I don't want to get a toothache which usually happens to me on weekends. I have an appointment in March to have the filings done.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home