Saturday, May 01, 2010

SPRINGTIME IN ALL ITS GLORY HAS ARRIVED IN NORTHWEST GEORGIA

By OLIVENE GODFREY

May 1 is always a special day for me. I was married May, 1 1947, in a small, decorated chapel which was packed with relatives and friends. If my late husband, Ralph, had lived we would have been married 63 years. On our 50th anniversary Ralph gave me a gold chain which I wear now with my gold wedding ring on it. In 1978. we moved to our house and Ralph planted shrubbery and little trees he had dug up in the woods near our house. I am grateful Ralph lived to see the beautiful large trees he had planted. Now that springtime is here , the trees provide shade to the house and beauty to the landscape.

Yesterday, son Barry went to Ace Hardware store in Chatsworth and bought a large wheel barrow. He also bought some colorful bedding flower plants for the huge container on the patio. These flowers will attract humming birds to the patio. When he came home, he planted the wildflowers on the patio. The day was sunny and warm, so he used the wheel barrow to bring the plants in the garage to the patio. The asparagus fern I started from scratch over 30 years ago is larger than it has ever been with long runners on it. The other plants, including the huge Thanksgiving cactus, are all looking pretty. Barry recently bought a multi-colored impatient (red. white, pink.) plant which is thriving on the patio and will be a large ball soon. I am so glad that Barry shares his parents' love of watching plants grow and treating them with love and care, as I couldn't do now.

I remembered today when my late mother and I would go to a greenhouse that sold flower bedding plants. We would buy a car full and when I got home, I would change my clothes and then, on my knees, I would plant my flowers in the soil that had been tilled by Ralph earlier. I miss those happy times in the spring.

Happy Springtime!

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home