Monday, August 23, 2010

GRANDPARENTS PRAYER CAME TRUE

By Olivene Godfrey

I remember years ago reading about a couple who had been married for more than 50 years and were still so much in love they carried out a death pact rather than face the wife's entering a mental hospital. They had told friends that having enjoyed life's pleasures and shared its sorrows for so long,, they dreaded being separated from each other more than they did death.

I guess the reason this story touched me was that it reminded me of my maternal grandparents. They were closer than any two people I've ever known. My grandfather was an attorney who quit his law practice to become a Methodist preacher. Then,in later years, he resumed on a limited basis his law practice. Being absent-minded by nature, one day he stepped into the path of an automobile and was seriously injured.

During the days he was barely clinging to life, my grandmother who had high blood pressure, was constantly by his side. One night, she was persuaded by family members to rest awhile. Shortly afterward, a daughter checked on her. And my grandmother had quietly died in her sleep. A few hours later my grandfather died. While this was a crushing blow to our family everyone remembered the many times they had told us they always prayed they would leave this world together. It was a very sad time for our family . Yet, everyone knew it was what my grandparents had wanted and somehow that seemed to console us.

-------------------------------------

My close friends and family members will be glad to know that I have an appointment soon at a hearing and speech center to have a comprehensive hearing test. My friends and family are aware that I am apparently suffering a hearing loss which is frustrating for others as well as for me and makes it difficult to communicate with each other.

-------------------------------------

Our heat wave here in Northwest Georgia appears to be ending with temps in the 60s at night and in lower 90s during the day which is a lot better than the intense heat of the past few months. The humidity is lower and the 90s seem cooler now. There is a hint of autumn in the air and that lovely season can't come too soon for most of us now. Meanwhile, the many rains we've been having has everything looking green and lush again like springtime. And, Barry had to mow the lawn this past weekend. Usually, this time of year, the grass and foliage is turning brown and has stopped growing. It has been a strange year, weather wise. The hated ragweed plants are growing in profusion along the sides of our road which has Barry and I both suffering from our allergies.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home