Saturday, October 09, 2010

AUNT TAUGHT ME TO MULTIPLY & ACTS OF LOVE ETCHED IN MEMORIES OF CHILDREN

By OLIVENE GODFREY

It takes just a whiff of memory to take us back to another time....

I loved my late Aunt Esther for many reasons but I rarely think of her without thinking of the multiplication table. Not having an aptitude for math anyway, I don't think I would have ever learned to multiply without her help. Being a school teacher and proficient in math, as all of my daddy's family were, I think Aunt Esther was horrified that I was so dumb in arithmetic. Nevertheless, she decided I was going to learn to multiply. And every time I saw her, which was often in those days, she would drill me. She promised to give me a gift when I learned the table.

Finally, the BIG DAY arrived. I was able to prove to her satisfaction that I did know how to multiply. And, she presented me with the best gift she could have--a book. I still have the book, now a tattered copy of "Heidi."

---------------------------------

I've often thought my late parents, and others like them, deserved special awards for sitting through countless piano recitals. With four daughters, all who "took music lessons", Mother and Daddy surely attended a record number of recitals.

I've written before about the time when Daddy seriously burned a hand shortly before one of my piano recitals. Yet, he sat though that recital, until the final chord sounded, before seeking medical attention.

My mother who was an accomplished seamstress made pretty dresses for my sisters and me to wear at our recitals. And she made sure we practiced until we had our piano recital music down pat.Most parents are probably surprised to learn about the "little acts" of love that remain etched in the memories of their children. I'm sure if you whose parents are still living reminded them of the acts they would be touched.

----------------------------------

I am still enjoying my new hearing aids but I have a few problems. I will discuss them with the Audiologist in a few days at the hearing and speech center in Dalton. Son Barry told me this week that I didn't realize just how bad my hearing problem was before I got the new aids. He said I talked loud in public places and at home. Now, he says, I am my old self with the soft spoken speech again.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home