Monday, October 25, 2010

BY OLIVENE GODFREY

THINKING ABOUT THE "PINK STUFF" & CHILDHOOD MEMORIES & EARLY YEARS OF MARRIAGE & IN PRAISE OF CHOCOLATE
I had a bad IBS attack this past weekend and son Barry gave me a dose of "the pink stuff" and it saved the day for me. And, I remembered when my late mother kept Pepto Bismol on hand for me when my "nervous stomach" acted up.

Looking back, I also remembered when my sisters and I returned home from school in the afternoon, Mother always had snacks waiting for us. A favorite was homemade chocolate fudge pieces between two saltine crackers. Some days we had apples and oranges waiting for us and other healthy snacks.

I also remembered when I was a student in a school home economic class and learned how to make chocolate fudge and Brownies. Mother never taught my sisters and me to cook. And we did have to wash and dry dishes after supper meals and we fussed about that. Barry says we were spoiled rotten and I guess he is right. And I think my late husband, Ralph, agreed with him.
Ralph gave me a ten dollar bill when we "set up housekeeping" and told me to buy groceries for the week in 1947 I. had no idea what to buy. But, Ralph was understanding and we learned to buy groceries and cook together. We couldn't afford to eat out and there were only a few restaurants in Dalton, Georgia, at that time. So, we had to prepare our own meals. Somehow, we survived those early years and had been married 55 years when he died in 2002.

An article in USA WEEKEND October 15-17, 2010, says to go ahead and eat chocolate with no guilt necessary as it contains substances that can improve mood and brain function. Being a chocolate lover since childhood, I found it interesting that the delicious treat can also help men live longer and contains antioxidants that can reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer and other ailments.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home