Sunday, November 21, 2010




SPECTACULAR THANKSGIVING CACTUS & QUICK TRIP TO MALL

By OLIVENE GODFREY

I have so many things to be thankful for this Thanksgiving day. And, one is good eyesight, thanks to cataract surgeries. I thought of this today when I entered my office and my eyes rested on the huge spectacular Thanksgiving day cactus. It is right on time, I thought, with the healthy green plant covered with gorgeous red blossoms.

The plant is in front of a window and the morning sun streams in, creating a thing of beauty. My mind went back to the day about 20 years ago when my late mother and I were shopping in Chatsworth and saw a big display of tiny Thanksgiving day cactus plants on sale. We each bought a plant and I don't know whatever happened to my mother's but I kept mine in my office. I put the plant outside on the patio in the summer months. And soon its growth was dramatic and then one year, it bloomed about this time of year and has every year.

Barry had to enlist the assistance of a strong body builder friend to help him move the gigantic cactus inside before a cold snap this year.

______________________________________

Last Sunday afternoon, Barry and I made a quick trip to the mall in Dalton. The mall was already decorated for the holidays. I hadn't been to the mall in several months and enjoyed the drive with the autumn colored leaves. Living on a foothill of the mountain, the leaves turn earlier here. Most of the leaves have fallen from the trees and Barry decided to wait for all the leaves to fall before using the leaf blower as the mold bothers him. I got a badly needed haircut at the mall and we made a stop at a large shoe store. I bought a pair of
fleece lined moccasins with slip proof soles to wear at home this winter and they are comfortable and warm.

Have a happy Thanksgiving day and weekend.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home