Sunday, September 28, 2008

SISTER JEANETTE FALLS AGAIN, DEAF WOES & CATS GOOD EXTERMINATOR

By OLIVENE GODFREY

My late husband, Ralph, used to say that my sister, Jeanette, must know how the Biblical Job felt as she had to face so much personal tragedy in her life. She has been caregiver for her handicapped husband over 20 years and has had ten major surgeries in her adult life. Awhile back she fell on her carport concrete floor and broke her nose and had bruises. Then a few days ago, she fell on the carport floor again and had a nasty gash on her head which required six stitches. She often says her great-grandchildren are her salvation and bring her much joy. One older great-grandson, Brandon, is especially helpful to her. She is a strong person and always bounces back after her tough times.

---------------------------

I've written often of my hearing problem and I hope to have it checked soon. I have appointments for doctors in October and afterwards will make an appointment to have the hearing test and evaluation. Meanwhile, Barry bought a small hearing amplifier that is worn in the ear for me to wear when I need to communicate with doctors and other people. It looks weird
sticking out of my ear but it really does amplify sounds, especially people's speech. Not being able to hear people talking to me is often embarrassing and frustrating and I feel like some people are aggravated when I have to ask them to repeat words. I can usually understand persons who speak clearly and distinctively. But, so many people I come into contact with speak softly and some have slurred speech. Son Barry has excellent hearing and he says some people really do talk softly and he has trouble hearing them, too, so, it isn't just my hearing problem.

---------------------------------

A number of years ago I knew a woman who had built a nice house in a clearing in a forest and had a problem with field mice.
After having an exterminator come out several times with no luck in getting rid of the rodents, he told the lady to get a cat. He said people who live in wooded areas will usually have some field mice. When we had too many cats about 15 years ago and a woman came out several times with a humane trap and took them away, we had a few mice in the garage but the worse thing was the large family of squirrels moved in the yard causing all kinds of trouble. And then we had new neighbors about a year or two ago who have two large well cared for cats who visit our yard often. And, the squirrels and mice have disappeared,
So, the cats are indeed great exterminators.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home