Tuesday, July 22, 2008

REFLECTIONS ON A BAD WEEK

By OLIVENE GODFREY

Following about a month of feeling chipper, I was under the weather last week and I am grateful that I am feeling better now. I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and all medical advice I have received over the years has been, "EAT MORE FIBER!".
When I try to explain that too much fiber not only works like a laxative to me but causes colon distress,the words fall on deaf ears. So, I try to watch my diet and avoid foods that cause my IBS to act up.

Sometimes I don't do enough research before eating a food. I have known for years that even one slice of whole wheat bread will trigger an IBS attack. So, I don't eat the bread even though I like it. I do enjoy eating sandwiches sometimes and I know that Rye bread is popular for sandwiches in the U.S. Like whole wheat bread, I had eaten the bread often when I was younger with no problems. So, I told son Barry to buy a loaf of Rye bread for me. I ate several sandwiches with the delicious bread in a few days. And, out of the blue, I had a humdinger of an IBS attack. The only new food I had eaten was the Rye bread.
Barry did some research on the Internet and we discovered that Rye bread is higher in fiber that many common types of bread. So, I won't be enjoying Rye bread again. Then, to top off the miserable week, I had a problem with my high blood pressure. My doctor says my blood pressure fluctuates,
rising and falling, according to my emotional state. And when my blood pressure drops quickly, I feel faint. About a year ago I fainted and fell and was rushed to the hospital via ambulance. I had a battery of tests which showed no broken bones. The lab work did reveal that I had anemia and low sodium. I hope those ailments are under control now. Last Sunday night, I was taking a shower and felt faint and I am grateful that I was able to avoid falling. As I write this, I am feeling much better and hope and pray, I will feel chipper again soon.

I was able to keep a dental appointment for cleaning and x-rays last week and am pleased that I received a good report from the dentist. I don't need to return for six months unless I have a toothache, heaven forbid!

Our crape myrtle bush which was planted in memory of my late mother, is in full bloom and is gorgeous. My mother had a green thumb and I hope she can look down from heaven and see the bush.
Thanks again to my sister-in- law, Joyce, for giving me the bush when Mother died eight years ago.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home