Saturday, May 17, 2008

I'M PROUD TO BE CALLED A “TREE HUGGER”

By OLIVENE GODFREY

On Mother's Day, son Barry and I ate an early lunch at the Village cafeteria in Chatsworth. Then, at my request, Barry drove us home on a designated scenic route. Besides the lush green foliage and trees and flowers, there are splendid views of the Appalachian Mountains on this road. Lake Conasauga on Grassy mountain can be reached by a ride over a dirt-bed road which runs through wild mountain scenery.

The scenic designated road we live on runs into the dirt road at the foot of the mountain. Georgia's National Wilderness Area, Cohutta Wilderness, is located in our mountain range. Until that Sunday, I hadn't sen the front of our house in a long time as we always enter the driveway at the back of the house. And, I was astounded by the huge trees that my late husband, Ralph,
planted 30 years ago. Our house is barely visible from the road now which gives us privacy and shade in the summer months.
Our house is situated in the path of a mountain wind tunnel and we had stronger winds here before the wall of trees grew so big. We do worry sometime during wind storms that a tree might fall on the house. So far we have been spared that and we continue to enjoy the trees.

I believe with all my heart that God created our natural resources and that it is our responsibility not to destroy them. As incredible as it seems to some of us, there are people who would like to cut down all trees and pave over the land for commercial development. Indians lived here on our land for thousands of years and practiced conservation. I have read that the Indians took from the land only what they needed.

I'm proud to be called a "tree hugger" and consider myself fortunate to live among beautiful trees.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home