Friday, April 25, 2008

CLEANING UP CLUTTER

By OLIVENE GODFREY

I can't say that the clutter on the wooden, butcher-block work island in the kitchen didn't bother me until recently. My late husband, Ralph,built the work island for me about 25 years ago for a Christmas gift. A lot has happened to me since then and I guess I just didn't have time to worry about the clutter.

Then, after I started taking iron pills for my anemia and had more energy, I found myself worrying about things that needed to be done around the house. Recently, I cleaned and polished my brass collection which I had put off for a long time
And, then I concentrated on the work island.

About a fourth of the island was covered with medications and supplements and odds and ends. I talked to son Barry about a solution and we decided that the grocery pantry in the kitchen needed to be re-organized and a shelf cleared for the bottles of medicines and supplements on the island.

As I write this, I am feeling pleased with myself as I have completed the project and the work island is free of clutter and looks great. It is old enough now to have an antique appearance. It may take a while for me to remember where I put all the clutter. But, we are proud of the appearance of the work island and will try to keep it neat.

When I was seeing doctors and having medical tests last year I saw a couple of interesting signs in medical offices.
One of the signs asked patients not to use fragrances, such as cologne, before coming to the offices as staff was highly allergic to them. Since Barry and I had stopped by the office for printed instructions for a test,I had sprayed a little Charlie, on the back of my ears. As a rule,I don't wear fragrances to doctor offices but we were going to make some more stops. The nurse who gave me the instructions appeared to be okay so I don't think I caused any allergies.

Another sign is in the offices of my new dentist. The electronic sign reads that if the patient has been waiting longer than 20 minutes to tell the receptionist. I have been to the office twice and didn't have to wait but a few minutes before a hygienist called my name.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home