Saturday, April 12, 2008

SAY A PRAYER FOR ME , "JUST TO MAKE SURE...."

By OLIVENE GODFREY

The growth started out as a flat, scaly area on my right shoulder years ago and later grew into a tough wart-like bump. Some time ago, I noticed that the bump was feeling sensitive and made a note to have my doctor look at it on my next visit.
I noted that it was looking ragged around the edges. And, a couple of weeks ago, it fell off, revealing a rough, red inflamed surface.

When I saw the doctor a few days later for my three month checkup,I showed her the bump. She examined the spot and told me it was Actinic keratosis which is a premalignant condition.
It's most common in fair-skinned people (like me) who are exposed
to the sun because their pigment isn't very protective. It is usually sun damage. Since some of these pre-cancers progress to Squamous Carcinoma, they should be treated.

My doctor knows I am a "worry wart" and she told me she didn't think my AK was anything serious. But, she ordered a biopsy since its large "to make sure that the bump is a keratosis and not skin cancer." I will have the biopsy in about two weeks. Since I know what the growth is now I haven't been overly worried. But,I will probably be nervous about the biopsy as the day draws near because it's an unknown which is what does worry me.

I haven't been in the sun frequently in a number of years. But, in my younger days. I often sun bathed and during the years when we lived in Florida I had a tan. The preventive measures recommended for AK are similar for those for skin cancers.

On the positive side, the doctor was pleased that the iron pills are giving me more energy. I told her that I have cleaned and polished my brass collection recently which is a chore I had put off for ages. She gave me a new prescription for a six month supply of the iron pills so I should feel better during that period if I don't get too fat from the increase in my appetite. I had gained a few pounds which wasn't surprising but I have got to lose those pounds.

Say a prayer for me, "just to make sure" the biopsy shows good news for me.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home