Tuesday, February 12, 2008

DINING AT THE PICCADILLY & INFO REGARDING LIFE-SAVING FOODS

By OLIVENE GODFREY

For the first time in about a year, son Barry drove us to Hamilton Place mall in Chattanooga last Sunday. It was only the second time in three years that we had dined at the Piccadilly cafeteria in the mall, our favorite place for Southern cooked food. Since I fell and broke my right shoulder and arm in 2005 and later had other health problems, including anemia, I haven't been able to venture very far from home without being exhausted.
I have felt better lately and felt ready to make the trip last Sunday. The Piccadilly is about 50 miles from our house and I was tired when we returned home but I enjoyed the outing.

I have finally realized that with such an array of delicious foods at the Piccadilly I shouldn't let my eyes be bigger than my stomach. Now I am more selective. On Sunday, I chose roast beef and made from scratch delicious macaroni and cheese and a cornbread stick. For dessert, I had a large serving of delectable strawberry shortcake, my dessert for the week. I am getting hungry now just thinking about it. I hope to return to the Piccadilly soon.

--------------------------------

In the 2-8-10, 2008, issue of USA Weekend magazine, I read that oatmeal acts to lower blood cholesterol and reduce hardening of the arteries, says new research published in the American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine. After 15 years of study, James W. Anderson, M.D., professor of medicine and clinical nutrition, at the University of Kentucky College of Medicine says the science about oatmeal and lower cholesterol is stronger than ever. Some of you may remember that I have been telling you for several years that when I started eating oatmeal every morning for breakfast, my cholesterol lowered dramatically.
I still eat oatmeal every day. Fortunately, I like oatmeal and it is easy for me to eat it and not have to worry about my cholesterol anymore. Why not give it a try?

And I read in the 8-2-07 issue of USA WEEKEND that lots of studies say eating whole grains, including popcorn, may prevent heart disease, diabetes and cancer. Other whole grains that I like are brown rice and wild rice and my old oatmeal. I love popcorn but I get it stuck in my teeth and have to spend a long time with the dental floss after eating it. But, it is good to know that it is a nutritious grain.

See you next time,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home