Friday, December 28, 2007

HOLIDAY GATHERINGS & GADDING ABOUT HAVE MADE ME HYPER BUT HAPPY!
By OLIVENE GODFREY
Son Barry and I are both convinced the iron pills that I have been taking for about three months have given me more stamina.
Actually, the increase in my energy is remarkable compared to the iron deficiency anemic state I was in a few months ago.
I have been gadding about and also cooked a big Christmas eve dinner for Barry and myself. I was tired after our dinner but Barry helped me and in a little while I was rested.

On the Saturday before our dinner, I decided to go the grocery store with Barry to shop for holiday foods. I wanted to go to Ingles super store as it had been so long since I had been there. I got dressed and wore my good luck red jacket with a bright red lipstick and sprayed my wrists with Charlie. (Hey, even though I am 80, I still like to smell good.) Several times I told myself that I was only going to the grocery store, for goodness sake, and not to make such a fuss about it. But, I had been a hermit for so long and it would be good to be in the outside world again. I enjoyed the trip and was tired when we returned home but I ate lunch and was soon rested. But, that night I went to bed at 8:30 P.M. and slept ten hours.

ON Christmas day, the weather was cloudy and cold. We drove to my sister, Jeanette's Dalton home for a delicious dinner with turkey and ham and an array of side dishes. And the dessert table was loaded with delectable goodies. I had limited myself to a small piece of pumpkin pie at our Christmas eve dinner.
But, I was tempted by all the desserts but chose a tiny helping of coconut cake and some fruit cake, both delicious. Jeanette's family were there and we hadn't seen the kids since last year and the teenagers had grown up since then. Jeanette's daughter, Charlene, gave out the gifts under the tree. Barry and I received nice gifts, including gift cards. And Barry had given me money to use on a shopping trip. Jeanette gave us a container of goodies and Barry a tin of her chocolate fudge which I will sample soon.

Last Thursday, my late husband's sister, Agnes, and our sister in -law, Joyce, and her daughter, Joyce Ann, paid me a brief but enjoyable visit. They live in northeast Georgia and I hadn't seen them in a long time. Joyce, a wonderful cook, brought a delicious picnic which we ate at the dining room table. We chatted and laughed and had a great time. Joyce brought a scrapbook her family had given her that depicts her 80 years of life and I enjoyed looking at it. Joyce brought a carton of sweet goodies she had made herself and alas, I may as well resign myself to gaining a few pounds. My blood sugar readings have remained normal so far though.

Barry and I have tentative plans for the long New Year's holiday which include shopping. I will tell you about it next week.

Have a wonderful New Year and I will see you next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home