Tuesday, December 18, 2007

GETTING READY FOR CHRISTMAS & THOUGHTS ON BEDTIME SNACKS

By OLIVENE GODFREY

One of my favorite parts of the Christmas and New Year's holidays is receiving cards and notes from relatives and friends, many for the first time since the previous year. One card was from my cousin, Ernestine, whose mother, my Aunt Helen, died last spring at the age of 103. Ernestine wrote that she and her family are missing Aunt Helen very much now as she enjoyed the holidays so much. She enjoyed buying gifts and wrapping them. She also created beautiful crochet gifts of angels and pot-lifters. I have some of these gifts and I treasure them.

Ernestine's letter also reminded me of my mother who passed away at the age of 92 in the fall of 2000. Mother loved Christmas, too, and started decorating her tree and house right after Thanksgiving. She, too, created beautiful gifts to give to family members. One of the last gifts I received from her at Christmas was four exquisite crocheted table mats for the dining table. I think every room in our house has some of her handmade gifts which we cherish.

I had an e-mail from my late husband's brother's widow, Joyce, and she said her three daughters and the grandchildren put up her tree and some of the decorations the day after Thanksgiving. They, too, are looking forward to the holidays.

Yesterday, I had a long, phone conversation with my sister, Jeanette. She and her family will have dinner and gift exchanging on Christmas day at her Dalton home and Barry and I plan to join them with our gifts and foods. Jeanette and I discussed the Christmas dinner foods. I received a card from Jeanette for my recent birthday and it was, as usual, insulting but funny. If she ever sent me a nice card on my birthday, I would be worried as I would know then that something bad was wrong with one of us.

I hope I will feel well enough to go grocery shopping with Barry this weekend as I like to choose the foods for holiday meals myself.

I mentioned last week in this space that I have lost weight and think one reason may be because I have cut out bedtime snacks. The habit started when I was a small child. My parents often told me that I couldn't go to sleep without my snack of a bowl of buttermilk with cornbread (left over from supper)
crumbled up in it. Later, when my daddy was diagnosed with a stomach ulcer, he ate a snack of milk and soda crackers at bedtime and I joined him. That habit stayed with me until I married. Then, my late husband, Ralph,and I had bedtime snacks every night during most of our 55 years of marriage. But, somehow, I stopped craving those snacks recently and I decided I didn't need them anymore.

I wish for each of you a A Merry and Warm and Wonderful Christmas.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home