Friday, October 19, 2007

MEDICAL UPDATE & SHORT TOPICS

By OLIVENE GODFREY

Son Barry did some research on the Internet recently about iron pills. I have been taking the iron pills for my anemia about three weeks now and they make me feel bad, to put it mildly Barry says everyone he knows who have taken the iron pills say the same thing. The pills cam cause stomach upset, heartburn and constipations. I already had these ailments and the pills seem to have made them worse.

On a discouraging note, I read in one of the research articles that it may take close to four months before recovering from the anemia. Iron is necessary to the formation of
hemoglobin, which carries oxygen to red blood cells. When the iron levels get low, a person feels tired and lacks energy to do everyday tasks due to lack of oxygen delivery to organs and tissues.

On a brighter note, Bary had his annual physical exam last week and received a good report from the doctor. He does have a sinus infection and the doctor gave him some samples of medicine to take. He found out last year that he has arthritis in one hip. Barry and I both are able to forecast when rain is on the way and when the weather is changing by our arthritis pains.

I still haven't felt up to eating out on Sundays. But we did take a quick trip to the Dalton mall last Sunday to get haircuts at Master Cuts. We took my wheelchair and we were only in the mall a short time.

Barry and I both have appointments next week for complete exams of our eyes in Dalton. It has been nearly a year since I had cataract surgery on my left eye and I need to have that eye checked.

I have read several articles lately about studies that claim to show that diet soda' such as Diet Coke can be harmful to your health. The most recent article I have read is in AARP
newsletter, October. 2007 issue. I go along with the cardiologist and nutrition expert, Dean Ornish. M.D. who said this last study failed to "demonstrate this (link) which clearly they have not done". Also, the AHA notes that diet soda doesn't cause heart disease and is preferable to sugar-sweetened soda. I have given up so much in my old age, including my beloved Classic Coke and I 'm not about to give up Diet Coke at this time in my life.

QUOTE: "It takes an experienced married man to tell when a woman comes to the end of one argument, and the beginning of another." Earl Wilson column.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home