Monday, August 27, 2007

NOTES FROM MY LEGAL PAD

By OLIVENE GODFREY

An article in the August issue of Consumer Reports On Health was of interest to me, titled, "Easy Ways to Stop Fainting."
the article suggested several exercises that can stop the most common type of fainting spells, like I have occasionally,
can be triggered by a sudden drop in blood pressure during highly stressful or emotional situations. One exercise is to squeeze a ball or wad of paper or any other object in one hand. The physical therapist who helped me after I fell and injured my right shoulder and arm a couple of years ago, gave me a barbell shaped rubber object that not only lowers stress but helps my arthritic hands when I squeeze it. I have still had more success in stopping fainting with the old standby of lowering my head for a few minutes. I fear the fainting as I often fall when I do and I am afraid I will break a bone.

After more than 50 straight days of temps in the 90s and 100s here in northwest Georgia, the weather report as of today shows no more 100s in sight. While the temps this week will still be in the 90s, the weathermen are reporting cooler weather, in the 80s, for the upcoming Labor Day weekend. We did have about an inch of rain this past weekend and we couldn't remember the last time we had rain until this recent one. The heatwave has worsened the drought in Georgia.

The fall weather here is usually nice weather and colored leaves and bright blue skies. But, unfortunately, the hated ragweed
is already causing nasal congestion and watery, itchy eyes for a lot of us here. There is an informative article on allergy treatment in the September issue of Consumer Reports On Health newsletter. Some steps to limit exposure to pollen and other outdoor allergens are listed, such as shut windows and stay indoors between 5 A.M. and 10 A.M. if possible. Check pollen count and humidity level before venturing outside. Have someone mow your lawn. If you must do it yourself, pick a cool or cloudy day and wear hat, goggles and a long sleeve shirt and wash your clothes and yourself afterward.

Son Barry and I were both looking like shaggy dogs as it had been so long since we got haircuts due to my health problems. So, last Sunday, we went to the mall in Dalton and had our hair cut at Master Cuts and we both look,and feel, a lot better now.

Quote: "You rust out quicker than you wear out." Col. Harland Sanders of fried chicken fame.

The quickest way to get people interested in something is to tell them it's none of their business." Earl Wilson column.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home