Monday, June 25, 2007

OLE' SUMMERTIME IS HERE IN NORTHWEST GEORGIA

By OLIVENE GODFREY

On Sunday, son Barry and I ate an early lunch in town and did some shopping in our new Walgreen drugstore. I bought makeup I had been looking for and a few other items I needed. The weather was already hot and oppressive and although I was in air-conditioning most of the time, I was feeling hot and sleepy when we arrived home.

Our central AC had the house wonderfully cool and I started changing into more comfortable clothes as soon as I entered my bedroom. Next, I went through the house closing draperies and blinds to shut out the blinding sunshine.

Then,I splashed water on my face and kicked off my moccasins
and stretched out in my recliner. A few minutes later, Barry brought my phone to the end table and left to do some shopping in Dalton. My gut was acting up and I felt thirsty so I drank some water and a sip of Diet Coke. (I am a Diet Coke sipper. Throughout the day, I sip Diet Coke.)

As I reflected on my day, I felt a deep empathy for people like Barry who have to work in the hot weather with no AC. I have a large pitcher of iced tea waiting for Barry when he comes home from work and he says it, "hits the spot." After I rested a while, I called my sister, Jeanette, in Dalton, and we solved the world's problems in our long conversation.

I had talked to my late husband's sister, Agnes, a while on Saturday and we had a nice chat. And, that night, my cousin, Laura Anne, in Middle TN called and it was good to hear from her.

The weather people have forecast possible thunderstorms for the next few days. We will welcome the rain as we are still in a drought but I am afraid of the lightning.

QUOTES--"The best job to have is one you'd like to do even if you weren't paid for it."- Herm Albright.

"Gossips talk to you about others, bores talk to you about themselves, and good conversationalists talk to you about you."
Earl Wilson's column.

"The man who tries to please everybody shows little respect for his own way of thinking." -- Sunshine Magazine.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home