Saturday, May 12, 2007

REMEMBERING MY OLD BUDDY

By OLIVENE GODFREY

My cousin, Ernestine, who is my late 103-year-old aunt's daughter,reminded me last week of when her late brother and I were childhood buddies. Since then, my thoughts have gone back to those years when my cousin, who I called Brother, and I would go to the magnificent Tivoli theater in downtown Chattanooga on Saturdays.

It was an innocent time when we felt safe for our Saturday outings. Actually, it never occurred to us that we wouldn't be safe. I lived with my family on the outskirts of Chattanooga and Brother lived across town with his folks. On Saturday
mornings, our parents gave each of us fifty cents to finance our outing before we left our homes to catch buses to downtown Chattanooga. When we arrived, we ate lunch at a small eating place downtown where we ate hot dogs and drank big soft drinks. The next stop was at a dime store to purchase bags of candy. Then, we headed for the Tivoli to watch the Saturday matinée movie.

Brother made me enter the theater first as he wanted to be certain that none of his friends were around. (Heaven forbid if his friends saw him going to the movie with his girl cousin).
Finally, we settled down in the theater for a couple of hours of magical entertainment. Afterward, we returned to our respective homes. We had made memories we would never forget for the sum of fifty cents

I have many memories of the time I spent with Brother during my childhood. When I was a young teenager, my family moved to a small town in northwest Georgia. One summer, Brother visited us for a week. He and my twin sisters, who could be real pests in those days, had found my "love letters" from my boyfriend while I was outside the house with friends. While we ate supper that night, they started quoting phrases from the letters. I was furious with them but they thought they were so clever
and even my parents only smiled at all of the comments.

Later, Brother was serving in the Army when I married but he was able to be at the wedding. We didn't see each other for many years but exchanged birthday cards each year. I was able to see him when he visited his family. We were all crushed when he died and I knew I would never forget the days when we were buddies.

MORE QUOTES---"If you don't like people in your neighborhood, why don't you make a change by moving to another neighborhood and not liking the people there?" Olin Miller

"The trouble with most of us is that we'd rather be ruined by praise, than saved by criticism." Earl Wilson column

"Maturity is the art of living in peace with that which we cannot change." Ann Landers

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home