Saturday, March 10, 2007

COLLECTING QUOTES IS FUN HOBBY

By OLIVENE GODFREY

During the past 40 years, I have collected quotations from newspapers and magazines and books. My favorite ones are from newspapers and magazines and I will be sharing some of them with you during future columns. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

I have met some interesting people over the years who also collect quotes. One was a college president who had saved some of my daily newspaper columns and had them on his desk when I went to his elegant office for an interview. We had a great time discussing our favorite quotes and the interview was stimulating and resulted in one of my best feature articles.

I recently read that a midday nap seems to reduce the risk of fatal heart problems, especially among men, according to new research. The researchers said naps benefit the heart by reducing stress and jobs are a common source of stress. It's likely that women also benefit from naps but the study wasn't certain of that. The research factored in diet, exercise, smoking and other habits that affect the heart but still found napping seem to help.

Son Barry seems to have the art of so-called "power naps" down pat. He is able to nap after lunch when he's at home and feels refreshed afterward. I relax for a while after lunch in my recliner but I am unable to fall asleep then. (After supper, I have no trouble sleeping through a T.V. program.) The noon time rest for me is beneficial and I am able to do my afternoon chores better when I am able to rest.

One recent day, I was resting on my recliner in the den when I heard a loud thumping sound. I glanced out of the big window and saw a large bird I couldn't identify sitting on the patio floor and shaking his head as if he was addled. And, I knew another bird had nosedived against the window. This one sat on the patio about ten minutes before flying away. I don't think any of the birds that fly against the window have been seriously injured but all appear to be shaken up.

TODAY'S QUOTES--- "Why can't we be exposed to the problems of life when we are 17 and know everything?" - Anna Herbert

"Middle age is that period of life when you are old enough to know better but young enough to keep on doing it. " The Duke of Decatur, Hugh Park's column in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

"If you can remember when men who wore wrist watches were called sissies, do you really believe you will feel better next week?"
Olin Miller. Dixie Dew Drops, The Atlanta Journal.

See you next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home