Monday, February 05, 2007

SNOW FELL IN GEORGIA'S HIGH COUNTRY & THOUGHTS ON BEING HAPPY & DINING AT THE PICCADILLY

By OLIVENE GODFREY

Last week,snow fell in North Georgia and as it is a rare occasion for us, it brought excitement, especially for the children who didn't have to go to school and played in the snow until it melted a few hours later. It only snowed about two inches but was more in the mountains and over in northeast Georgia.

When we here in northwest Georgia, hear the word, "snow",it brings to mind the Blizzard of '93 for many of us. I hope we don't ever have a repeat of that week when nearly two feet of snow paralyzed the area. My late husband, Ralph, and son Barry kept a fire going in the fireplace the four days we were without electric power, heat or fresh water. Now we are prepared for such an event, as we have a Coleman lantern, portable stove and kerosene heaters now but at that time we only had the fireplace for heat. We hope the '93 blizzard was a once in a lifetime experience for us.

I read years ago that people are about as happy as they decide to be. At that time, I disagreed with that comment. But, the thought has been in the back of my mind since I first read the words. Sometimes life deals us cruel blows and our hearts ache like a toothache and we don't think we can ever be happy again. Now I realize there comes a time for most people when we can either go on being unhappy or decide to be happy again. I came across this quote by George Crumbley, "As I get older, more and more happiness is waking in the morning and finding that nothing new hurts." I can relate to that. Seriously, if we keep an open mind and are alert to all around us, we can discover small things that bring us happiness.

For the first time in two years, Barry drove me up to the Hamilton Place mall in Chattanooga and we had a delicious lunch at the Piccadilly cafeteria. Since I fell and broke my right shoulder and arm in 2005, I haven't been able to venture very far from home without being very tired. I have felt better lately and decided yesterday that despite the cold weather I was ready to make the trip. The Piccadilly is about 50 miles from our house and I was tired when we returned home but enjoyed the day. I ate too much despite good intentions and had belly discomfort, to put it mildly, after returning home. But,
I had a good day and hope to go back again soon.

I like this quote by Christopher Morley, "There's something alive about a kitchen, the way it smells and sounds and feels. Maybe sick people would live longer if they sat in kitchens."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home