Tuesday, January 09, 2007

ON MY MIND....

By OLIVENE GODFREY

How often do you wash your bed sheets? A Good housekeeping
magazine cleaning timetable (Nov. 2006)says you should wash your sheets every two weeks if you want to avoid dust mites.
I have washed my sheets once a week since I married in 1947.
I don't know how often my mother washed sheets and I am a bit ashamed to confess I had other things on my mind back then.
But, I just assumed that washing sheets once a week was normal.

And on the subject of sheets, my sister, Jeanette, and I discussed folding sheets and towels one recent day. We both admitted that we don't do a neat job of it. Since I had a bad fall,son Barry has washed and dried the laundry and I have folded it and put it up. The reason for this is that our washer and dryer and laundry supplies are located in a corner of our garage. We haven't wanted me to risk falling on the hard concrete floor, and possibly breaking a bone. Barry has been washing his own sheets and folding them since he was a teenager. Watching him fold sheets neatly one day I asked how he learned to do that so neatly and he replied, "Just my nature I guess." And, that seems to sum it up perfectly.

I love this quote by the U.S. speaker of the house, Nancy Pelosi, "Having five children in six years is the best training for speaker of the house." This is from the AARP Bulletin, (Jan, 2007.)There is an interesting article in this issue about the new speaker.

I have broken several china pieces of my bric-a-brac lately.
Each piece is of sentimental value to me and I hate it when I break a piece. Barry has been able to repair with glue all of the broken pieces except one. I put the broken pieces in a plastic bag as it was very special to me. I don't know how I am going to avoid this in the future as my arthritic hands are clumsy and awkward which makes dusting a hard chore.
I will try to be more careful.

After I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2004, I started buying sugar free desserts which are delicious. But, most of them contain the ingredient, "sugar alcohol", which upsets my gut so I have stopped eating the desserts. Sometimes I crave a little something sweet after supper. So, Barry started buying bite size miniature candy bars and sometimes I eat one of them after supper and they haven't raised my blood sugar. I am allowed one favorite sugar dessert a week which I usually have on Sundays.

This past Sunday was a rainy day but Barry and I went over to a Shoney's in Dalton for an early lunch. We had some light rain during our trip but managed to return home before the heavy rains arrived. I had a delicious lunch of salad and two small grilled catfish fillets with rice. The lunch was satisfying without feeling too full and I enjoyed it.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home