Monday, January 15, 2007

IN PRAISE OF DEEP BREATHING & WHAT HAPPENED TO THE WORD, "FANCY"?

By OLIVENE GODFREY

For years I have read and heard that New Age practices such as Yoga, etc... are known to improve your health, and blood circulation and reduce stress. But, I was skeptical of those claims. It is true that I am aware that most of my aches and pains are stress-related and my doctor says I have anxiety syndrome.

So, when I read in the Jan.-Feb. issue of the AARP Bulletin that you can get some of the same benefits of New Age practices with just three to five minutes of deep breathing sessions twice a day or anytime you're feeling tense, I decided to try it.
It sounded easy and didn't take up much time. You just sit in a comfortable chair, feet flat on floor, and close your eyes and take five to seven seconds to inhale through your nose, hold for another five seconds, and then slowly release that air through your mouth.

I have experienced dramatic results, literally feeling the tension vanish from my body. I'm not throwing my medicine away but the deep breathing is an excellent supplement for me. The AARP Bulletin says and I quote, "Not only does deep breathing reduce muscle and emotional tension it can also temporarily lower blood pressure and heart rate and deliver a quick rush of additional oxygen to cells." If you suffer from stress, what do you have to lose if you give it a try?

The other day, Barry was about to leave to do our weekly grocery shopping and he asked me what I wanted from the store's deli.
I replied, "Whatever takes your fancy." And, then I said, "What happened to the word, fancy? I like the word but don't ever hear it used anymore." Barry said, " It is a word of your generation. People don't use it now." And I remember when "fancy" meant, "taking a liking, such as, "She took a fancy to him." Or, if a person is dressed in an elaborate style you might say, "My! you look fancy today." Or, if you are conceited and admire your self, some might say you "fancy yourself"?
There are a lot of times when "fancy" is just the right word. It's a shame that it's not used often now.

It's been said that cleaning bathrooms keeps you humble. And, to that I say, I can think of more pleasant ways to feel humble.

Barry and I went to Dalton this past Sunday for an early lunch and stopped in at the Sears store in the mall and used our gift cards we received Christmas from my sister, Jeanette. Barry only used a portion of his card to buy a good looking sweater shirt at a good sale price. I found a pretty black turtle neck top I have been wanting at a good sales price and didn't use all of the value of my card either. So, we will be returning soon to do more shopping.

The weather has been unseasonably warm recently and as I write this, rain is expected, and then very cold temps are forecast for northwest Georgia the remainder of the week.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home