Sunday, February 18, 2007

THINKING OF LONG-TIME FRIEND, JULIA

By OLIVENE GODFREY

My long-time friend, Julia, has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson disease. We talk on the phone some and she is in good spirits considering the serious illnesses that have stricken her. We are the same age and since we first met we have been soul-mates. She is fortunate to have loving family members who are taking good care of her.

Julia and I have always been compelled to write and she is a poet and songwriter. Although, she had a long, successful business career, her heart was always with her music.
We are both widows now and also share some age-related things, such as falling asleep in front of the T.V. at night and using canes to walk, being hard of hearing,and the list goes on.

My late husband, Ralph, had Parkinson's and also had mild dementia. And, my heart aches for Julia's future and for all that lies ahead of her. But she has experienced great personal tragedies and become a stronger person. She is a person of courage and determination and she also has a keen sense of humor and is fun to be with.

I remember a night years ago when Julia and I went to a writer's group meeting in Dalton. On the way over there, rain came down in torrents and there was a film on my car's windshield, making it difficult for me to see to drive. Julia told me to stop at a little store which I did and she returned a few minutes later with a bottle of Coco Cola which she poured on the windshield and, presto!, the glass was clear. I told her that I learned something new every time I was with her.

She finished an heirloom small table for me and later gave me a refinished antique sewing machine wooden cover which I treasure and use as a magazine rack in the den.

I feel blessed to have Julia as a friend. I always knew I could call on her if I needed help and she would be there. I can only pray for her now and be here if she needs me.

See you next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home