Monday, February 12, 2007

SCARY CHOKING EPISODE

By OLIVENE GODFREY

I woke early last Sunday and went to the kitchen and started my morning routine by taking my prescribed medications. I swallowed the first pill and instantly knew something was horribly wrong. It seemed obvious that the pill had gone down the wrong way, causing intense pain in my throat and neck and chest. Instinctively, I started coughing vigorously and was still feeling awful and was really scared. Son Barry had gone out the previous night and was sleeping soundly and didn't hear all of my loud coughing sounds. And, from somewhere, I used all of my strength to try to throw up in the sink. And, it worked as the little pill popped out of my mouth. Never was I so relieved and I thanked God for saving me. Right away,I started feeling better. I vowed to be more careful when I swallow pills from now on.

Later, Barry and I went to Chatsworth and ate at the Village and then we went to the cometary where my late husband is buried and put an artificial bouquet on his grave. After a brief stop at Ingles for a few items, we returned home. During our trip, we saw three acquaintances we haven't seen in a long time and that was a pleasant surprise.

The weather was cold on Sunday but the sunshine was bright and I wore my new stylish sunglasses. I had been wearing a pair of large ones that were made to be worn over regular glasses and looked awful but was effective. I don't wear regular glasses since I had my cataract surgery except to read, so on a recent trip to the Dalton mall, Barry helped me select a new pair of sunglasses. When I put them on, I think of the elderly lady I encountered a while back outside the eye doctor's office who was wearing the big sunglasses and she grinned and said, "Stylish, ain't we?"And we both had a good laugh and went our separate ways.

The days are getting longer now in northwest Georgia and the jonquils are coming up and robins can be seen some days in our yard. The groundhog predicted that we will have an early spring and we are hoping he is right.

Two good quotes...."Conscience gets a lot of credit that should go to cold feet." By Gene Yasanek and, "A good scare can be worth more than good advice." By Arnold Glascow.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home