Sunday, August 12, 2007

I'M IN PRETTY GOOD SHAPE FOR AN OLD LADY!!!!!!!!

By OLIVENE GODFREY

Son Barry pushed me in my wheelchair into the lobby of the beautiful Hamilton Medical Center in Dalton, Georgia. With Barry's help, we moved through registration smoothly and I was soon in a small room and dressed in a hospital gown, then, hooked up to an IV. Barry waited in the room for the nurse to come to take me to the room where I would have a colonoscopy and endoscopy.

I had prepared for this day for a week and had experienced severe discomfort. Also, I hadn't eaten any solid food since the previous morning and it was 2:30 P.M. (You could say I had a colon cleansing.) I wasn't scared and just wanted to get it all over. And then I was taken to the room where my GI doctor and his assistants waited for me. An assistant sprayed my throat with Novocaine and another one asked me to roll over on my left side which I did. The next thing I remember is that Barry was standing beside me and the doctor and others were moving around the room. Barry told me the tests were over and my colon was fine.

I was still marveling that it seemed like only a second since the procedures started. I gathered from Barry's conversation with the doctor that my hiatal hernia which I had forgotten and my esophagus had caused some trouble such as acid reflux
in my upper stomach. The doctor said I had a yeast infection for which he prescribed an antibiotic. He also stretched my esophagus. I'm not certain how mine was stretched but I've read it can be treated with a special balloon that inflates in the esophagus, called, "Dilation of the stricture." I'm just glad I was sleeping during that procedure. I was told that I would experience some gas pain in my stomach for a day or two. And I was given a prescription for a drug to relieve stomach pain. This medicine is known as a proton pump inhibitor. It can remove
difficulty in swallowing, persistent cough, heartburn and trouble sleeping. It can also prevent serious damage to the digestion.

My body has experienced trauma and stress the past week or so and I am still not sleeping well. But, despite all of my health problems, I am feeling downright giddy today as I have had four days with no stomach pain after so many years. And, I am planning my upcoming 80th birthday celebration this coming December.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home