Friday, October 05, 2007

ON MY MIND....

By OLIVENE GODFREY

I told you last week that I had blood tests to determine which kind of anemia I have. The tests results showed that I have low blood due to a lack of iron in my diet. So, my doctor prescribed a powerful iron capsule. I will take one a day for 60 days and then have blood tests again.

I hope this treatment will give me more energy. I have an upset stomach today and I am hoping it isn't a side effect of the iron capsules as I have to take them. I haven't been out of our house except to go to doctor office and trips to hospital in weeks. I hope I will be able to enjoy an outing with son Barry soon.

I have had good conversations with my friend, Julia, and my late husband's sister, Agnes, this past week. I told them of my recent fall when Barry called an ambulance to take me to the hospital E.R. I had always envisioned a ride in an ambulance would be as comfortable as a Cadillac. Boy! Was I wrong! Our long driveway is graveled and the ambulance ride was bumpy and rough.

The E.M.T.s are efficient and wonderful and one of them apologized for having to put a helmet like thing with a neck brace on me to protect my neck and head as I had fallen flat on my back. I couldn't move my head and you get a different perspective of your surroundings lying on a stretcher. I had another ride in the ambulance to the Dalton E.R. hospital for a cat scan. Barry followed the ambulance but couldn't find a parking space near the E.R. entrance. So, he had to park a long distance away and forgetting he isn't a youthful lad any longer he ran all the way to the E.R. Meanwhile, a lady had stopped by to get more information from me. I asked her if she knew if my son had arrived at the hospital. She looked thoughtful and said, " I think I saw him. I'll be right back." and she hurried away. A few minutes later, Barry walked up and his face was a bright red. He told me about his run and I was worried about him. He ate a quick lunch in the hospital cafeteria and looked okay when he returned. Later, he told me that he had been looking for me when a lady asked him if he was my son. He replied that he was and she said, “You look just like her and I knew you must be her son”. Barry and I are used to that happening often to us.

I had a nice e-mail from my friend and neighbor, Genevelyn, who lives on the next mountain foothill from our house. She cheered me up and said she was going to send me a sugar free cake on my 80th birthday, December 10. I sent her an e-mail and told her that was a lovely thing to do. I haven't had a birthday cake since I was a kid. And, I have a sweet tooth and being a diabetic, I have to watch the amount of sugar I eat.
I want to thank all of you who have prayed for me during the past few weeks. I pray that I will start feeling better soon.

Quotes: “A living wage always seems to be just a little more than you're making now.” and “If you ask enough people you usually find someone who'll advise you to do what you were going to do anyway.” Both from old Earl Wilson columns.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home