Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I MADE IT TO 80 BY THE SKIN OF MY TEETH

By OLIVENE GODFREY

After being bombarded with illnesses and accidents for the past year, I made it to 80 by the skin of my teeth. And, I had a good birthday weekend. My friend and neighbor, Genevelyn, came over with a beautiful "no sugar" birthday cake. She also brought a gift from a mutual friend and former newspaper colleague, Ruth. I give credit to making it to 80 to the devotion of son Barry and also to relatives and friends who have supported me. My family doctor of 20 plus years has taken good care of my health needs. I had an appointment with the doctor for a mini check up on my birthday. When she and a couple of the nurses discovered it was my birthday, they all gave me a hug and wished me a Happy Birthday.

I had a serendipity while at the doctor's office. I have lost five pounds since my last visit about two months ago. The doctor thinks I don't need to lose anymore weight but I am hoping I can lose 10 more pounds. She wants me to continue taking iron pills for a month and come back for blood work. I have felt better the past week and intend to start back on my balance exercises soon.

My daddy has been dead over 30 years but I still think of him on my birthday as he always called me to tell me about the night I was born in a Methodist parsonage in Middle Tennessee. On that night the family doctor was with my mother and sent Daddy outside to chop wood. My mother had a breech birth in which the baby's buttocks appear first. She told me that during the birth, one of my little arms was broken and the doctor put it in a sling and it healed soon.

I had a nice, long phone conversation with my late husband's sister, Agnes, today in which she wished me a belated Happy Birthday and caught me up on her family news. Agnes lives in northeast Georgia across the mountain from our home in northwest Georgia. We spoke about the unseasonably warm weather we are having but cold weather is forecast for this weekend.

Barry's birthday is Friday, December 14. He was my belated birthday gift. He will probably work all day but will celebrate during the weekend. I am going to treat him to a restaurant lunch on Sunday.

Christmas will be here soon. I got on the ball last week and addressed cards and mailed them this week. Barry has done some shopping for me but I am mostly giving gifts of money to the people I exchange gifts with. My sister, Jeanette's family will have a Christmas dinner and exchange gifts on Christmas day and Barry and I will join them,bringing gifts and food.

Barry and I will have our dinner on Christmas eve. We will have turkey and dressing with a few trimmings. Barry bought a small turkey breast several weeks ago which we will cook. He says he will help me in the kitchen so we can eat at home that night.
We ate at a restaurant on Thanksgiving day and it wasn't the same as eating at home. Besides, says Barry, we didn't have any leftovers.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home