Friday, November 02, 2007

PAST THANKSGIVING DAYS REMEMBERED AND PLANS FOR THIS YEAR.
By OLIVENE GODFREY
I think most of us as we grow older realize there are certain things we can no longer do. For instance, I have always enjoyed cooking a traditional"turkey and dressing and all the trimmings" dinner on Thanksgiving day. I started cooking the day before the big dinner and on that day, I got up early and started cooking until time to serve the dinner. My late husband, Ralph. loved the holiday and he would have a roaring fire in our large fireplace and settle down in his recliner in front of his television set to watch the football games. The aroma of good food cooking wafted through the house and it was a nice time.

The year we lived in Treasure Island, Florida,the year son Barry was born, I was nearly nine months pregnant that Thanksgiving and I cooked two small Cornish hens and a few other foods for our dinner that holiday. After Barry came into our lives, we had large dinners and he has always enjoyed them, too. Some years we had guests and those were enjoyable times.

This year has not been a good one for me, health wise. I have been bombarded with ailments almost constantly.. Last week, I started thinking about this year's Thanksgiving dinner, and then Barry suggested that we eat our dinner at a restaurant this year. We did that the year after Ralph died and it wasn't a happy day. Barry wistfully said he missed the left overs. So, since then, with Barry's help, we have had big dinners again.
I have to be realistic though and I know I'm not able to prepare a large meal now. So, we decided to eat out this year. We haven't decided on a restaurant yet, but we will make an effort to enjoy our meal and be grateful for our blessings.

We are having seasonal weather now and some of the nights have been cold. The first of the week, Barry brought the patio plants inside. The Ficus or Weeping Fig tree had grown so huge Barry had a hard time bringing it inside. It is touching the ceiling and Barry says it will release oxygen into the air.

Quotes: "The perfect Christmas gift for a woman," a friend said, "who has everything is a burglar alarm." Hugh Parks

"We are only young once. That is all society can stand."
Bob Bowen

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home