Wednesday, January 23, 2008

BRUNSWICK STEW UNCERTAIN ORIGIN & PROPER TEETH BRUSHING

By OLIVENE GODFREY

We have been having cold, wintry weather here in northwest Georgia. Last Sunday, the temp was in the 20s all day and that night son Barry ate a large bowl of his Aunt Joyce's delicious Brunswick stew, which is a traditional dish from the southeastern United States. When Barry finished eating, he recalled the times when his late dad, Ralph, had spoken of the delicious Brunswick stew that was served at Georgia church camp meetings when he was a kid. And, Barry, being curious by nature, researched the stew on the Internet after supper.

The stew resembles a very thick soup with meat. The key distinguishing factor between the stew and soup is the consistency. Brunswick stew must be thick, otherwise, it would be vegetable soup with meat added. Most variations have more meat and vegetables than liquid. A debate currently exists, according to Barry's research, as to whether the stew was actually originally made near the town of Brunswick, Georgia, or from Brunswick county in southern Virginia. Since I first heard of the stew, I assumed it was a Georgia food.

According to Barry's research, there is a plaque on a pot of Brunswick stew that states that the first Brunswick stew was cooked July 2, 1898. on nearby St. Simon's Island. A competing story, however, claims the dish hails from Brunswick County, Virginia. According to one legend, the camp chef of a Virginia State Legislator invented the recipe in 1828 on a hunting expedition and everyone was immediately hooked.

Today, Brunswick is most notable for being sold for church fund raisers throughout the South. The research article points out the main difference between the Georgia and Virginia version has been the type meat used. The Virginia version tends to favor chicken as the primary meat while Georgia tends to favor pork and beef. There is no "official recipe" for the stew and it's possible to find chicken, pork,beef and other types of meat included in the same recipe.

-------------------------------------

I had a dental appointment, my second one the past year with a new, for me, dentist and hygienist. In the medical history form I filled out for them, the question was asked if anyone had ever taught me how to brush my teeth properly. I can't remember when I first brushed my teeth and I always assumed I did it right. After my teeth were cleaned, the dentist checked my teeth and he told me to pay attention to my gum line when I brushed my teeth. Later, Barry researched the subject and we were surprised to learn that proper brushing required two full minutes. The research article pointed out that most adults don't come close to brushing that long. According to the article, that to properly brush your teeth, use short, gentle strokes, paying extra attention to the gum line and back teeth and areas around fillings, or other restorations. The research gives a complete guide, with illustrations for proper brushing which I have been doing for two minutes. I hope to get a good report at my next dental appointment in six months.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home