Friday, January 04, 2008

SHOPPING SPREE IN FRIGID WINTER WEATHER

By OLIVENE GODFREY

As I write this, we here in Northwest Georgia are having frigid winter weather. The temp on our patio this morning was 15 degrees and the past two days it has been very cold. But, warmer weather is in our forecast for the upcoming weekend. I hope to be able to have a Sunday outing with son Barry.

The weather on New Year's Eve was sunny but cold. Barry and I went to the Dalton mall late that morning. We took my wheelchair with us and Barry rushed me across the mall parking lot to get us inside out of the cold wind. We ate lunch at Chick-Fil-A and enjoyed it. Then, we went to Mastercuts and both of us got much needed haircuts.

I told you last week that we were given Christmas gift cards and Barry had given me a gift of money. So, we had about decided how we would spend our cards and money before we left home. Right away, I found an all-weather coat that easily adapts to seasonal changes with its removable liner and hood. This coat was the only one like it left and it was reduced 60 percent off the regular expensive price. And, luck was with me as it was in my size. So, I purchased it and I can wear it year round as a casual coat.

The next item on my list was new bath towels which we needed.
We found what we were looking for-- large, luxurious bath towels marked down to an affordable price. So, I bought five towels.
And by using Barry's gift of money and my sister, Jeanette's gift card, I only had to spend $16 of my own money to pay for the coat and towels which I think is a good bargain.

Barry bought a smart remote control that does remarkable things. He loves gadgets and used Jeanette's gift card to help pay for the remote control. He still has a gift card from Jeanette's daughter,Charlene, and will be out shopping tomorrow, I guess, to use it. Charlene also gave both of us gift card to be used at Western Sizzlin which we will enjoy using soon.

We have both had more stimulus in our lives the past two weeks than usual and have been hyper and are now relaxing. A week or so ago Barry switched from our cable company to the DISH network, a direct broadcast (DBS) service that provides satellite TV and audio programing to households and businesses in the US
We are satisfied with the service so far and best of all, we will be saving money. Barry also switched this week his Internet service to a different network.

We had planned to drive up to Chattanooga to shop at Hamilton Place, their huge mall, and to eat lunch at the Piccadilly on New Year's day. But, alas, the weather was miserable and I was beginning to feel tired from all my gadding about so we stayed at home and rested. I cooked supper and served Barry black eye peas which is a Southern tradition for New Year's day.

Despite all the food temptations, I didn't gain any weight over the holidays and my blood sugar has been normal. I have resolved to eat right and exercise more during 2008. It's been said that "nothing taste better than being slim". I don't know about that....

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home