Monday, March 03, 2008

LET"S VISIT AWHILE....

By OLIVENE GODFREY

Son Barry discovered last week, by accident, that two of radio and television's most loved and recognizable personalities are back on the air again with a brand new Crook & Chase talk/variety on RFD-TV, starring Lorianne Crook and Charlie Chase. The pair are celebrating 25 years in the business, making them the longest running broadcast male/female team currently on the air, according to RFDTV magazine. I watched the Crook & Chase show regularly on the old Nashville network until CBS for some unknown reason bought the network about ten years ago and canceled all of the popular country music shows. Now RFD-TV has brought back most of the old shows, including Ralph Emery's new "live" show. The weekly Crook & Chase show is produced by Jim Owens Entertainment and taped in front of a live studio audience on Wednesdays at Nashville Opry House in Studio A. I watched the show last week and enjoyed it. Lorianne and Charlie look great and I look forward to watching future shows.

I also watched the Jimmy Sturr Show which features polka music last week. The young woman who played an accordion brought back memories of when I played that instrument as a young girl.
I had played the piano for years and my daddy bought the accordion for me and arranged for lessons. Soon I was "performing" in front of audiences at church, school and community events. My teacher had a weekly radio show at a Chattanooga radio station and I played my accordion on the show. I had a nervous stomach even back then so my mother had to give me a dose of Pepto Bismol before the radio show each week. The master of ceremony introduced me as, "The little girl with the big accordion". on the radio shows. Performing was fun but I had no desire to pursue a musical career. I knew when I learn to read that I was a writer. But, I had a heap of living to do before I became a published writer.

About half of our Incredible Poinsettia's green leaves have turned scarlet. We have had the plant over two years now. Barry has given it tender, loving care and regular doses of Miracle Grow. The plant is located in front of the big window on the sunken floor in the den and gets the afternoon sun. The den is cool and pitch dark at night which is a requirement for the plant's leaves to change to scarlet. Barry has pruned the plant several times but it is still large and pretty and we are enjoying looking at it.

My late husband's widowed sister, Agnes, called me last week.
She had been in the hospital several days with pneumonia and says she is recovering nicely now. Since I had a couple of serious bouts with pneumonia in the past, I could feel empathy for her.
We had an enjoyable chat as always.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home