Monday, February 25, 2008

REMEMBERING THE DAY WHEN I SAW FDR IN PERSON

By OLIVENE GODFREY

During my lifetime, I have seen many famous people, and have interviewed some of them. But, the one that stands out in my memory was Franklin D. Roosevelt, the thirty-second president
of the United States. Elected to four terms in office. he served 1933 to 1945 and is the only U.S. president to have served more than two terms of office. He was a central figure of the 20th century during a time of worldwide economic crisis and world war.

During the Great Depression of the 1930s, Roosevelt created the New Deal to provide relief for the unemployed, recovery of the economy and banking systems. Although recovery of the economy and reform of the economy was incomplete until almost 1940, many programs initiated continue to be instrumental in the nation's commerce, such as FDIC, TVA, and the SEC.
One of his most important legacies is the Social Security system for which I am grateful.

While I was a child when I saw FDR, he made a strong impression on me. Before I could read, my daddy read the daily newspaper to me. When I learned to read, I read the newspaper faithfully every day. I think that was when my love affair with newspapers and my fascination with politics began.

My family and I lived in Chattanooga during the 1930s and during that period, President Roosevelt paid a visit to our city. Mother found out the route the president's motorcade would travel that day. And when the day arrived, Mother loaded my twin sisters who were small children and myself in the car and she drove down one street where people had lined the road. Mother drove on until she came to an isolated stretch of road and she parked there and we stood on the side of the road. Soon, the motorcade was beside us and the president was in an open car and he looked at us and flashed his charming smile and waved his arm. I was awestruck while the motorcade disappeared from view. And, those moments are still vivid in my mind.

During this year's presidential election of a U.S. President, we need a strong, wise leader. I hope and pray that the new president will be able to meet the challenge our nation faces today.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home