Sunday, April 06, 2008

SHIRLEY TEMPLE CURLS VIA EARLY,SCARY PERMANENT WAVE APPARATUS

By OLIVENE GODFREY

It all started when I was six or seven years old and was selected to play a Shirley Temple doll in a school play that was set in a toy store. I had blonde hair, like Shirley Temple, the popular child movie star, but my hair was straight and I had a "boyish bob". My teacher told my mother that I could wear a blonde, curly wig. But, Mother always had a project going until her death at the age of 92 and she decided that transforming me into a Shirley Temple doll would be her new project. My twin sisters were toddlers and Mother arranged a sitter for them on a Saturday and she told me we were going to get me some curls. I was puzzled but intrigued as I had always wanted curls.

Mother drove us to a beauty shop in Chattanooga and when we entered the shop my eyes went to a scary, complex of rollers which was suspended from the ceiling. Since I was so young, I don't recall the procedure of getting a permanent wave in those days but I do remember that it seemed to last forever.
But, I had pretty Shirley Temple curls when we left the shop.
I found out the next few days that Mother's project included sewing a pink Shirley Temple dress for me to wear in the play.
To complete the project, Mother had a studio portrait made of me dressed as the Shirley Temple doll with a pink ribbon in my blonde, curly hair. The picture hangs now in my home office.

While thinking of this episode, I asked Barry to do some research on the permanent wave and I found the info fascinating. I'll share the high lights with you now. The first permanent wave machine was invented in 1928, the year after I was born, by Marjorie Joyner. the first African American to receive a patent. The first chemical treatment for curling hair that was suitable for use on people was invented in the year 1906 by the German hairdresser, Karl Nessler. He used a mixture of cow urine and water. His method, called the "spiral heat method" was on long hair. His first experiment was on his wife, Katharina Laible. The first two attempts resulted in completely burning her hair off and some scalp burning.
But the method was perfected and his electric wave machine was patented in 1909. It subsequently went into widespread use.

A method for short hair was invented in 1924 by a Czech hairdresser. Josef Mayer. In 1931, at the Midwest Beauty Show in Chicago, Ralph I. Evans and Everett E. McDonough showed a heat less system for the first time. Then, in 1938. Arnold F. Wiillatt invented the cold wave, the precursor to the modern perm. It used no machine and no heat. The entire process took six to eight hours at room temperature. Perms today use this method with different chemicals and this method takes only 15to 30 minutes until the neutralizer is applied to bring down the pH and rebond the hair.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home